This week has been about expanding outwards from the centre circle to take the new form of a spiral. Expanding outwards with the beginnings of the Green Wall at CCP HQ, sponsored in part by a Green Grant from the Adelaide City Council. Expanding outwards from communication to conversation and community. We are thinking about how to convene some face-to-face community here in Adelaide as well as more conversational community online - something like a FB group, for example, where people can be more interactive.
Jana's been involved in an interesting online community: this week was the start of the symposium Educating in the Ecozoic.
It's like a conference: you choose which presentations you want to "attend", read the materials presented, and then participate in the conversation prompted by the presenter. Jana especially enjoyed a presentation called "Dancing with Systems" by Kathryn Ross focused on the work of Donella Meadows. The main text is a PDF called The Dance. Donella Meadows has been part of the pantheon of the CCP since being introduced to her work two years ago (thanks, John!)
What's the dance of spiral expansion for CCP at this juncture? Here are the steps...
1. Get the beat.
2. Listen to the wisdom of the system.
3. Expose your mental models to the open air.
4. Stay humble. Stay a learner.
5. Honor and protect information.
6. Locate responsibility in the system.
7. Make feedback policies for feedback systems.
8. Pay attention to what is important, not just what is quantifiable. 9. Go for the good of the whole.
10. Expand time horizons.
11. Expand thought horizons.
12. Expand the boundary of caring.
13. Celebrate complexity.
14. Hold fast to the goal of goodness.